Friday, July 26, 2013

Hubris and Nemesis

This morning I checked all the sites selling my books and I realized I had never uploaded Charlie aka Dream Horse to iTunes.  So I took care of that.

Yesterday the news was going around about a big Romance Writers convention where authors always made appointments with editors and agents to try/struggle to get the attention of these demi-gods.  The demi-gods would be bored and after the alloted 10 min. it would be "Next!"  This year, instead of it being impossible for writers to get one of these coveted appointments, the dance cards of the demi-gods were wide open.  The people getting the attention were fellow writers who struck it big in digital and they were glad to share their knowledge and experience with everyone.  "Come on, you can do it, too!" is a lot more empowering than "I don't know how this would sell in a really tough market."

In ancient Greece there were two words.  Hubris means extreme arrogance, an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities.  Nemesis is the spirit of divine retribution against those who succumb to hubris.  If you get too big for your britches, somehow you will be taken down.

Those much maligned women who write in a category no elitist will deign to mention, just gave traditional publishing their first big newsflash.  "We don't need you anymore.  Not on your terms, not when you abuse us."

I published a book today without the permission of an agent or editor or beancounter.  I did the cover myself, I edited it myself, I formatted it myself.  I didn't need anyone else.  All I need are readers.  Readers only want good books.  Wow.  What a concept!

Now I'll get back to Bittersweet 3 because I really am very close to also publishing that without the permission of the demi-gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment