Tuesday, June 13, 2017

About a year ago my sales started to fall even though I was advertising continually on Facebook and Amazon.  What made me realize how dire the situation was, was when I read an article by the publisher of The Chronicle of the Horse and he said he had trouble reaching an equestrian audience.  When a multimillionaire with an established magazine can't find readers, how can I?

There are 29,000,000 people in America who have an interest in horses.
That's a big audience!
When I share information with other writers of horse books, we all agree that there are about 1000 readers/customers who are buying our books.
This is not good.
This is not enough money for any of us to live on without having another source of income.
That's the bottomline.  Real life.

I need to write something with a larger audience and I have been thinking about 2 ideas, but a few days ago I mentioned an idea to a writer pal and she loved it.  It made me think more seriously about it.  I began to feel excited for the possibilities.

If you could support the new endeavor--only if you actually liked it, of course--then that might help the book reach its audience.
(The way it works at Amazon is if you release a book and people enthusiastically purchase it, it becomes a Hot New Release and is featured on a search page.  This helps make people aware of the book.)


If things worked well, I would be able to return to the BFs.  One other thing, one BF, rinse and  repeat.  If I don't have income then I cannot continue the BFs.  It will be necessary for me to keep writing different things until 1 works.  Such is the life of a professional writer.

Questions or comments?


16 comments:

  1. If I like an author I am very inclined to buy/read their other work, even if it is not necessarily in the same genre. (Unless it's some kind of horror book... I'm not into being scared)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not into horror or paranormal. Real life is scary enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I buy by author and genre. Oh, and by cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was under the impression that people barely looked at the covers. I had 1 person say they read on their phone and had never seen the covers. There are no rules you can go by. Everyone has a different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I find an author I try everything they write. Covers pull me in as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just curious, Nina. Have you read everything I've written?

      Delete
  6. I read lots of different kinds of books. Basically on authors I like I read the synopsis and if I like that I will buy the book and read it. If the synopsis doesn't pull me in I won't buy it because I will probably not read it. I'm fickle that way. Also if something on the cover catches my eye I read the book especially when it pops up in the New Release or recommended section. I have no qualms checking out other books. I understand that I might only get one or two BF books a year. Makes me sad but I get it. What are you thinking into branching into? I like books that make me laugh out loud when I read them. Even though it scares my dogs sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you understand that BF15 may be the last one?

      Delete
    2. I really hope that you can go back to it one day. It makes me sad to think you might not keep writing that series. As a reader I think you should keep writing just the Bittersweet Farm series but as a person I understand you need to branch out to get more books sold to make the $$$$.

      Delete
    3. I hope so. You might come to like the new characters, too. Take consolation in the fact that the fans of Bad Apple felt exactly the way you do now when I left it to write Flash and Flash of Light. They also read the books many times over. I still say Kelly W. knows the series better than I do now.
      If I have a question about it, I email her.

      Delete
  7. That should be if the book cover catches my eye I read the synopsis and then read it if that sounded good. I don't read just based on cover but will take a second or more through look if the cover catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your books, my favourite being If Wishes Were Horses. It's funny and makes me laugh. I wish Mill didn't break up with Caprice in the Bittersweet Farm novels. They make such a cute couple together. Your books have inspired me to become a writer when I am older (at the moment im only 14). I hope you also continue to write more Bittersweet Farm books because I can't stop reading them and probably they will wear out someday from where I keep reading them. You are an inspiration to the entire Horse Riding community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie. Thank you for the very nice comment. If you read BF15 you'll probably be quite happy. I loved If Wishes Were Horses. It was originally titled Someone Else's Wish. Cap threw that quarter into the fountain, fished out a coin and the person who belonged to that coin had wished to be famous. Then Cap finds herself becoming infamous. Readers didn't seem to understand so I did a rewrite. If you become a writer, you'll have that happen to you, too. I have written a number of books you might enjoy but they aren't so horse oriented. The Bad Apple series, the Perfect Shot books, Nothing Serious, Unheard, Just Kate (about Cam's parents), Jingles All the Way. Lots to read, some serious some not. My next book is a mystery set in Hollywood which will be serious and not. Keep in touch!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for you comment, I will read them.

      Delete
    3. Do you know when BF15 will be out in paperback?

      Delete
  9. Hi Sophie. That's labor intensive and I'm working on a mystery right now so I really have no idea when I'll have the spare time/energy to do the paper. I'm sorry. I know there are people who want paper but right now there is no easy way for me to create it.

    ReplyDelete